Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Import from SIM to Android's contacts

Recently, I'm switching to a new phone, and I ran into an issue with migrating contacts from an old SIM card to the new Android phone. There's would be no problem if both of them are Android phone, because I can upload old contacts to Gmail and sync them back to the new one; Or I can just export to the SD card to (.vcf) file and import to the new phone again. But the problem was, my old phone was an old feature phone, not a smartphone, so there's noway to import/export to (.vcf) file. Lucky enough, it can copy all contacts to the SIM card, but for some reason, my new Android phone would not import those contacts even though it recognize and seeing those contacts. Anyway, here is the solution:

Under contacts, press menu, the import/export, and select Import from SIM card as below

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT, make sure the "Auto-sync" in account setting is checked. That was the problem that prevent the Android to import contacts from SIM card. I guess the explanation is, Android want to sync every new piece of information to Gmail. If not, it won't do it. I guess it want to collect every little piece of personal information from us so someday it will take over the world D:

No comments:

Post a Comment